Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Steve Mackall's "Sunday Bubble"

I use to joke, but it wasn't that far from the truth, about not realizing until I was thirty that not everyone had Sunday dinner at their grandparents each week. My old friend Steve Mackall out in California did a great piece about Sunday family dinner. Click on the You Tube link below, or cut and paste it into your browser. Good stuff!
My favorite Sunday dinner story was about when I was stilll in high school and had worked my first week at Quality Industries, a place where you heard the F word a hundred times a minute. If you screwed up a piece you had to write "NFG" on it, meaning it was No Fu---- Good. If a machine made a mistake you wrote "MFUA" on it, meaning the Machine Fu---- Up Again. That first week at the machine shop I worked six days, ten hours a day. I was exhausted, barely keeping awake at the dinner table. I remember we had roast beef and both sets of grandparents were there along with my whole family. I remember after we said grace turning to my grandmother and saying, "Nanny, pass the fu----ing potatoes." Believe me when I say I was not the golden child that day!
Check out Steve's monologue, it is wonderful.
Greg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qih3EYHRn0A

No comments: