Monday, August 4, 2014

Writing Stuff


            I have been pleasantly surprised recently by the amount of people who have asked me if I am doing any writing. And it has been a while since I sent out any sort of email about my writing and publishing projects, so I thought it was about time that I did again.
            Since 2006 I have written a column for scout.com’s Browns magazine the Orange and Brown Report. Recently scout.com got bought and sold twice and I was unsure of its future. However, we have recently been bought by a magazine group that has the best owner we have ever had, and they are in it for the long run.  They have upgraded both the magazines they own and their internet websites. They have especially done a great job with the magazine I write for. To check out all scout.com has to offer to all football fans, not just Browns fans, go to scout.com or cle.scout.com.
            Once again this fall I’ll be writing a game day blog for scout.com call “View from the Dawg Pond.” If you want to read last year’s entries go to my blog at my website www.gregcielec.com.
Our latest publishing effort is a 2014/2015 calendar for Cleveland’s Little Italy neighborhood. The Feast of the Assumption on Mayfield Road in Little Italy is one of Cleveland’s oldest and most popular annual events. This year’s “Feast” is almost here.  It will be followed soon afterward with the “Taste of Little Italy” on September 21. The calendar is titled “Seasons of Little Italy” and features over 60 colorful photographs taken in and around the Murray Hill/Mayfield Road neighborhood. My good friend Dave Hostetler did the design and took many of the photographs and did a great job. The calendars can be purchased at many Little Italy businesses including Presti's; the Murray Hill Market; Washington Place; The Smoke Shop; the Cleveland Montessori School; Topsi Turvi; Guarino's; La Bella Vita; Pennello Gallery; Vitanonio-Previte Funeral Home; the Little Italy Wine Shop; Angelo's Nido Italia; and La Dolce Vita. The calendars can also be purchased online at www.LittleItalyClevelandCalendar.com.
Our other current publishing project The Brown Jug Cookbook is almost sold out. We have less than 125 copies left and we expect them to be gone by Christmas. We have had so much fun with this project, including several events down in Delaware, Ohio, where the Jug was located. Special thanks to Roop Brothers Bar! We do plan on having a Cleveland event around the cookbook in December. Keep checking my website for details. For more info on the cookbook or to order a copy go to www.brownjugcookbook.com.
We are always looking for projects for our publishing company Pink Flamingo Press and Creative Endeavors. Let me know if you got a great idea, we will give almost anything a try if we think it’s a worthwhile project.
I have also been surprised about how many people have asked me recently if I have been writing any fiction and I have. I finished another novel titled A Poem on a Bar Room Wall, and I think it is very good. However, none of the big publishers gave me the $100,000 advance I so richly deserve so we are going to put it out ourselves. Look for it at either Christmas or early next year. There are some sample chapters posted on my website.
Enjoy what is left of the summer.
Greg





No comments: